follow us on INSTAGRAM

______________________________________________

More Than One Path To Follow On Our Civil War Road Trip

This trip was originally inspired by my Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather's Civil War journey from McLeansboro IL to New Orleans LA, including the battle and siege of Vicksburg. Since this trip was first imagined to follow his trail, I have since continued my family history research and discovered that my husband and I have a rich Civil War history among our ancestors. Though some lines may be off by a generation, it is roughly our 4th Great Grandfathers who were of age during the Civil War. Each person has thirty-two 4th Great Grandfathers, so it is no surprise that my husband and I each still have many that I have not yet even discovered our lineage to, let alone discovered their personal stories. But I have found these highlights:

John B STANDERFER - My 4th Great Grandfather (the original inspiration for this trip) was in the 87th Infantry Regiment of Illinois, Company A. He was among the first troops to take transports down the Mississippi River and he was at the Battle and Siege of Vicksburg and The Siege of Jackson.

Benjamin H CAPPS - My Husband's 4th Great Grandfather was in the 110th Infantry Regiment of Illinois, Company G/D, and was at The Battle of Stone River, The Battle of Chickamunga and The Battles for and Siege of Chattanooga. He was also part of the Atlanta Campaign, The March to the Sea and The Campaign of the Carolinas. After Confederate General Johnston's surrender, he participated in the march to Washington and the Grand Review of the Army. Truth be told, this ancestor's Civil War journey is the most interesting I have found so far and tells an amazing story. Though, our trip won't allow us to follow his path in the way we can for JBS.
John W SMITH - My 4th Great Grandfather was also in the 110th Infantry Regiment of Illinois, Company B, and was at all the same events and has just as rich a story as BHC.
Charles KNAUSS - My 4th Great Grandfather was a Sergeant in the 145th Infantry Regiment of Ohio, Company G which served in the southern defenses of Washington DC.

Peter C HARSHBARGER - My 4th Great Grandfather was in the 5th Infantry Regiment of West Virginia, Company C/K which served in many battles in Virginia including the 2nd Battle of Bull Run.

William M DREW - My Husband's 4th Great Grandfather was a Corporal in the 49th Infantry Regiment of Illinois, Company K and was at the Battle of Fort Donelson, The Battle of Shiloh and the Siege of Corinth.
William C DAVIS -- My 4th Great Grandfather was in the 6th Illinois Calvary, Company L, and rode with General Hatch's expedition to Alabama at the close of the war.

And that is not to mention a handful of distant uncles and other relations I have also discovered with Civil War records, nor the Civil War stories of the women of the time, who surely endured great hardships and were involved in many ways off the battlefield.

I am continuing my research as time allows and we have started looking into adding stops on the second half of our trip to soak up some of the history from these ancestors' stories.